Hypertension is a chronic (long-term) medical condition characterized by a persistent increase in blood pressure in our arteries. This is why it is also called high blood pressure (HBP). We may have found it in many literatures that are called silent killers! Yes. It’s certainly one. No one wants to reach the end of the period of life, at least not in an age where much work is still left unfinished, words left unspoken and special people left unloved. This is where it gets a little risky. More than 50% of those with hypertension don’t even know they have it! More like an insecure king who wins and eats with a traitor and many times many more traitors as we will come to realize in perspective.
Here are some epidemiological facts that help us to open our eyes to understand what is really at stake here
Hypertension is generally of two types. A primary type and, of course, a secondary type. The primary type is caused by non-specific factors that involve one’s lifestyle or genetic predisposition. These factors include but are not limited to smoking, obesity, high salt intake, sedentary lifestyle, depression and represent over 95% of total hypertensive individuals. The remaining 5% or so has the secondary type of hypertension which is due or secondary to pre-existing causes known as chronic kidney disease, hormonal abnormalities, use of birth control pills, pregnancy, coarctation of the largest artery in the body, l & # 39; aorta and the stenosis of one or both renal arteries.
Fortunately, hypertension is one of those medical conditions that are easily preventable and therefore the appropriate treatments, preventive techniques and management strategies are well used. This means that there is practically a way to learn about your hypertensive status. This is essentially, but in reality it is doing blood pressure check frequently. Hypertension, if not selected, can cause one of the following conditions:
1. Coronary artery disorder; a sufferer of the blood vessels that supplies the heart itself with nutrients and blood
2. Heart failure
5. Chronic kidney disease
6. Peripheral vascular disease
7. Multi-organ failure
Why do I have to examine my lifestyle?
I would like to start with those who love salt so much that we also get our drinks, drinking water and bathing water. I should have brought our mind back to the Ebola virus epidemic in Nigeria a few years ago, when several sacrilate ideas came out of nowhere, advising people to chew kolanut with salt water and bathe in salt water. I hope we know that many people have allegedly been killed by this act rather than by the epidemic itself.
The normal and most surprising attribute of salt in the body system is to take as much water as you can. Thus, swallowing the blood vessels and causing them to overload with liquids. The heart in response to this begins to overload to compensate for the unnecessary increase in volume that it has to pump per cycle. Before knowing what is happening, the heart begins to fail until it finally leaves room for stress.
Next is smoking. This is very bad and its medical significance goes beyond hypertension. It is the single most important factor for the development of coronary heart disease. Smoking greatly increases the chance of contracting long-term hypertension. His close relative, alcohol is also a major player in the world of lifestyle diseases. The hypertension achieved through one of these is not good not to mention the union between alcohol and smoking. I can imagine that the great wall of Jericho would fall flat again.
Also worth mentioning is also very common and practically everyone is guilty. This is the exercise. The standard approach to this is that one should have at least 30 minutes of exercise each day for at least 3 days in a week. This is the minimum you are allowed to go. Exercise simply helps the heart to improve its function and allows it to cope with the increased work load except for unforeseen events, you may have been hired with a lot of salt or other substances that overload the volume of blood. Furthermore, the heart rate increases and the blood flows faster. These and many others are the wonderful effects of exercising on your body.
There is a serious relationship between hypertension and obesity. Obese individuals typically have metabolic metabolites of carbohydrates, proteins and lipids. As such, they usually have a strong tendency to have diabetes mellitus and the high level of glucose not used in the blood is just as harmful as salt in the blood. Bad lipids are often deposited on the walls of their arteries, reducing their diameters and limiting the flow of blood therein. This is one of the causes of hypertension in the obese; increased peripheral resistance of blood vessels.
Finally, in this episode of your column on health, suffice it to say that what we see is what you eat. There is not much to say about this. Eat well, eat well and eat well!